Ryan J. Richter, AICP
ryanrichter [at] transportnexus [dot] com
Transportation – Planner |Associate Planner | Analyst
Expertise in project management
Comprehensive experience in public sector transportation planning as Project Manager and Planning Analyst. Technical advisor and liaison for Metra since 2008 to Regional Transportation Authority’s Community Planning grant program. Well-versed in geographic information systems (GIS). Utilize solid project management abilities to direct multiple priorities, and develop innovative strategies to meet and exceed performance objectives. Adept in training entry-level staff in procedures, protocols, and project management methodology.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analysis, Database Management, Research and Policy Analysis, Project Management, Technical Assistance, Technical Writing
EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS
Metra, Chicago, IL
June 2008 – Present
Second largest commuter railroad in U.S.; 11 lines serving area the size of CT, average weekday ridership of 300k+.
Project Manager |Planning Analyst
- Charged with handling 4 – 6 $100K concurrent grant projects within Strategic Capital Planning Division, as well as serving as technical advisor on Regional Transportation Authority’s Community Planning grant program. Represent Agency at inter-governmental panels, public hearings, and open houses; primarily accountable for providing technical advice to municipalities and consulting firms hired to develop transit-oriented development (TOD), corridor studies, and transit improvement plans under the RTA grant. Collaborate with 12 cross-functional senior staff.
- Conduct project management and technical liaison functions with 2 corridor studies: Eisenhower Expressway Corridor Advisory Group and Cook-DuPage Corridor Advisory Group. Interface with variety of state and local government agencies, as well as major consulting and engineering firms.
- In charge of Agency’s geographic information system (GIS) data and associated databases. Create and analyze GIS data for numerous issues, such as demographic and market, political geography, and ridership analyses, as well as asset management. Key point‑of‑contact for internal and external inquiries.
- Noted for principally authoring new System Map for new CEO; 1st agency-wide operations document of 6 county Chicago Region. Collaborated with other Planners and Engineering staff to completely map the system.
- Saved $10K annually since 2010 by convincing Agency to leave paid vendor who supplied GIS data at annual fee; initiated and developed partnership with State of Illinois to obtain all necessary data.
- Earned American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification; 1st Planner to achieve this mark of distinction.
Internships During Graduate School
City of Naperville, Naperville, IL
January 2008 – May 2008
Transportation Planning Intern
Instrumental in assisting Transportation Planning Team Leader by providing basic GIS system analysis for various transportation programs, including downtown parking capacity and a towing analysis.
Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago, IL
June 2007 – January 2008
Assigned to System Analysis side of Planning Department. Focused on validation of origin-destination model used on the L line to understand departure points and destinations of riders. Validation enabled tweaking operational efficiency to ensure adequate capacity and frequency of trains at any given time.
Urban Transportation Center, University of Illinois – Chicago
January 2007 – May 2007
Provided a high-level of GIS support to numerous projects led by multiple principal investigators. Mapped all non-governmental transit providers throughout IL.
Lake County Division of Transportation, Libertyville, IL
August 2006 – January 2007
Functioned as consultant after leaving to attend graduate school. Involved in hiring and managing 2 entry-level Analysts and training them within 4 months in existing procedures, projects, and protocols for seamless transition in their taking over role functions.
- Authored detailed technically written procedures and in-house manuals to aid in training and future job performance.
May 2004 – August 2006
- In charge of analyzing, organizing, maintaining, and coordinating multiple GIS databases. Prepared maps for public presentation and internal and inter-governmental uses.
- Primary Project Manager for $250K contract to map county-wide storm sewer network; heavily involved in selecting consultant; coordinated consultant’s daily field work and provided quality control by signing off on project goals and invoices.
- Instrumental in preparing County highway and bikeway maps; collaborated with consultant who created maps; reviewed and recommended cartographic design changes for this $100K project.
- Cut production time 50% for cartographic products by migrating multiple GIS datasets into database-driven environment.
- Improved working relationships between administrative and field staff; worked with field staff to gain buy-in and cooperation to bridge working environments resulting in more effective operation of GPS units to list and download county assets into GIS.
- Served in Speakers Bureau.
CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- American Planning Association
- Transport Chicago Steering Committee
- ESRI ArcGIS 10.X
- MS Project, Visio, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint
Master of Urban Planning and Policy, Transportation Planning, University of Illinois, 2008
Bachelor of Science, Geography, University of Iowa, 2003